5 February 2010

Things 5 and 6

 I'm still not quite sure about the difference between iGoogle and Google Reader, so will go in search of an explanation in words of one syllable...

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

iGoogle (formerly Google Personalized Homepage and Google IG), a service of Google, is a customizable AJAX-based startpage or personal web portal (much like Netvibes, Pageflakes, My Yahoo!, and Windows Live Personalized Experience). Google originally launched the service in May 2005. Its features include the capability to add web feeds and Google Gadgets (similar to those available on Google Desktop).

Google Reader is a Web-based aggregator, capable of reading Atom and RSS feeds online or offline. It was released by Google on October 7, 2005 through Google Labs. Reader graduated from beta status on September 17, 2007.

 And why might I want to follow a particular blog in iGoogle rather than Google Reader? These Things seem to create more questions than they answer. However, I am becoming more familiar with how to use Blogger and the different Google pages, even if I'm not sure of their specific purposes. Blogger isn't the most intuitive web site, and I don't seem to be going about things in the quickest way.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I think reading RSS feeds via Google Reader or iGoogle is just a matter of personal choice. If you are a fan of iGoogle and like having everything in one place, then putting your feeds there can be more convenient. But if you prefer to keep things separate then Google Reader allows you to do that. They both do the same thing, just in different places, if that helps!

Elizalouisa said...

Thanks Jane, I much prefer iGoogle, possibly because of the customisable themes, so I'll stick with that.

Post a Comment